Pharmacist in oncology –
Education meeting in Bosnia & Herzegovina
The educational meeting of the Section for hospital/clinical pharmacy of Bosnia & Herzegowina (B&H) named „Pharmacist in oncology“ was held in Sarajevo on 16. April 2011.
Program of the meeting included following lectures:
- Development of oncology pharmacy through forming of working groups within pharmaceutical societies of certain countries (doc. dr. sci. ph. Vesna Pavlica, KBC „Sestre Milosrdnice“, Zagreb, Croatia)
- Report on forming the working group for oncology pharmacy in B&H and the current situation in B&H (MPharm. Dubravka Aleksić-Jovanović, Clinical Centre Sarajevo, B&H)
- ESOP and oncology pharmacy in the world and the Europe (MPharm. Klaus Meier, ESOP president, Germany)
- Oncology pharmacy as a part of undergraduate program at Faculty of pharmacy, Zagreb (doc. dr.sci. ph. Vesna Pavlica, KBC „Sestre Milosrdnice“, Zagreb, Croatia)
- Onkology pharmacy in the Great Britain (MSc pharm. Ljiljana Petrović, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, London, UK)
- Oncology pharmacy as a part of postgraduate program: clinical pharmacy specialization –hospital pharmacy ( Prof. dr sci. med. Damir Vrbanec, KBC Rebro,Zagreb, Croatia)
- Centralised preparation of cytotoxic drugs – experience from practice (MPharm. Višnja Kopecki, General Regional Hospital, Požega, Croatia)
- Legislation in B&H (Snježana Bodnaruk, Sarajevo and MPharm Jelena Medar , Banja Luka)
- Legislation in the Europe and the world (doc. dr. sci. ph Vesna Pavlica KBC „Sestre Milosrdnice“, Zagreb, Croatia)
- Round table: Continuing education in oncology pharmacy (Prof. dr sci. med. Damir Vrbanec, MPharm. Klaus Meier, MPharm. Enisa Salihefendić, MSc Pharm. Ljiljana Petrović, MSc Pharm. Tijana Marinković, MPharm Dubravka Aleksić-Jovanović, doc. dr sci. Ph Vesna Pavlica )
Twenty seven hospital pharmacists attended the meeting, along with thirty one guests from other institutions among who were the representatives of the Ministry of health, the Health insurance funds, dean and professor from Faculty of Pharmacy, physician oncologists, as well as representatives of Agency for drugs and medical devices of B&H.
Just before the meeting started all participants from the hospitals were given ESOP questionnaires on current situation in oncology pharmacy in the B&H, which needed to be completed until the end of the day.
In the first part of the meeting the main topic was the oncology pharmacy in the B&H, the Europe and the world and its development through working groups within pharmaceutical societies.
V. Pavlica presented the current situation in development and implementation of oncology pharmacy in South East European countries, and especially in the Croatia.
Based on reports from all hospitals in B&H, D. Aleksić presented the current situation and pointed out that the working group for oncology pharmacy consists of three delegates in ESOP, T. Marinković, D. Aleksić and A. Pečet.
The president of ESOP, K. Meier gave in his lecture the overview of oncology pharmacy in the Europe and the world.
During the second part of the meeting participants had the opportunity to get familiar with implementing oncology pharmacy in undergraduate and postgraduate program at the university, as well as the specialist studies on which elaborated D. Vrbanec.
It was very useful to listen the lectures on experience from practicing oncology pharmacy in the UK and Croatia which were presented by Lj. Petrović and V. Kopecki and during which was pointed out the importance of centralizing the preparation of cytotoxic drugs in the hospitals, taking safety measures during preparation as well as great cost-saving opportunities when pharmacists are involved in the process.
Third part of the meeting consisted of lectures on legislation in B&H as well as the other European countries.
The first delegate of B&H in the ESOP
the President of the Section for hospital/clinical pharmacy of Bosnia & Herzegovina